Random ALL CAPS posts on this group

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:06:29 EST 2015

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:16:01 PM UTC-6, Ben Finney wrote:
> Freedom of expression entails an obligation on the state
> to not quash anyone's expression. It does not affect
> anyone who is not the state; it imposes no obligation on
> the PSF. [...] So a forum such as this can block obnoxious
> spam, and that choice does not impact anyone's freedom of
> expression.

Ben, i know we have not agreed much in the past, and you may
be thinking that i intend to pick a fight with you here (and
i don't), however i implore you to give more thought to the
vital importance of free expression.

I believe that free speech is so important, so vital to the
existence of free societies, that it's practice *MUST*
extend far beyond the boundaries of the state's rule, and be
fostered by *ANY* group who is in the public domain.

No one here would justify a public business refusing to
serve or employ a person based on race, religion, sex, or
otherwise. So why would you so easily discriminate against
speech?

I agree that these spam posts are annoying, but that is not
enough of an excuse to start limiting people's speech in a
*PUBLIC* forum. If python-list were a private group for
"members only", then by all means make up whatever rules you
want to. But when shared publicly, we have a duty to support
freedom for *ALL*. We must suffer the annoyances if we want
to enjoy freedom for all.