Random ALL CAPS posts on this group

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jan 19 21:15:50 EST 2015

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Rick Johnson
> <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's the beauty of free speech: "We have right to be annoyed, and
> > the author has the right not to give a damn". The only alternative
> > is fascist censorship, and I'll happily endure these annoyances to
> > prevent that!
>
> Free speech also gives the freedom to not listen.

Freedom of expression entails an obligation on the state to not quash
anyone's expression. It does not affect anyone who is not the state; it
imposes no obligation on the PSF.

Freedom of expression has no implication that anyone else is obligated
to listen, as you say. It also has no implication that anyone is
obligated to carry that expression further.

So a forum such as this can block obnoxious spam, and that choice does
not impact anyone's freedom of expression.

--
 \         “I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know |
  `\                                  what to feed it.” —Steven Wright |