Decimals and other numbers

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 8 22:03:50 EST 2015

Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> writes:

> What you don't say is which behavior you actually expected.  Since
> 0**0 is undefined mathematically, I'd expect either an exception or a
> NAN result.

Do you think that the ‘int’ and ‘float’ types, which do produce a number
result for ‘0 ** 0’, are buggy and should be fixed?

I think the inconsistency is unnecessarily confusing. Perhaps the
consistency is in standards outside Python, but I think there is cause
here either for a change of behaviour or, if ther eis a good rationale
for the incompatible behaviours, to document the rationale. In either
case, a bug report is warranted IMO.

--
 \     “We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that |
  `\      divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of |