Where to learn current best Python packaging practices (was: Announce: PyPrimes 0.2.1a)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 8 20:11:13 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Is there a good tutorial to learn about pip?

I'll answer what I think is the correct question: where to learn about
the current best Python packaging practices.

We have recently gained an official body whose explicit job is to
direct, and be opinionated about, packaging Python software: the Python
Packaging Authority <URL:https://www.pypa.io/>.

One of their many beneficial outputs is the Python Packaging User Guide
<URL:https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/>.

> I know that pip is Officially The Best Thing Evar, but my experience
> so far has been less than satisfactory.

For a very long time, Python packaging was in a truly awful state, and
seemed to get even worse with time. That is now reversed though (IMO),
and ‘pip’ does indeed represent the Best Thing So Far™ for Python
package installation.

That does not contradict the position that it's an ornery beast full of
hidden traps and compromises though; it just means that everything that
came before it (in Python) is worse :-)

Seriously, even those who believe they know a lot about Python packaging
will benefit greatly from learning about the sweeping improvements that
have been made in the past handful of years. Get thee to the Python
Packaging Authority resources and learn where we're at, and how far we
have to go.

--
 \       “You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a |
  `\         victor without having victims.” —Harriet Woods, 1927–2007 |