Playing with threads

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Jan 7 21:18:06 EST 2015

On 01/07/2015 09:00 PM, Ganesh Pal wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I'm trying to use threads  to achieve the below work flow
>
> 1. Start a process , while its running grep for a string 1
> 2. Apply the string 1 to the command in step 1 and exit step 2
> 3. Monitor the stdout of step1 and print success if the is pattern  found

None of those three "statements" make sense to me.  Could you translate,
or elaborate?  And fix typos?

What OS is this running on?

Is the process a program called grep.exe?  Or a second Python program?
Who's doing the grep, that separate program or your original one?

Define Apply.  What's it mean to apply a string to a command?

What's an "is pattern" ?  And who's looking for it?

What's the real goal?  Or is this just a paraphrasing of an arbitrary
school assignment (which don't always make sense).

> Questions:
>
> 1. Can the above be achieved without threads ? I prefer keep ing code
> simple  .threads can become confusion when this workflow grows larger

Sure, nothing in that description implies threads, just a separate
process.  No idea why that's simpler, though.

--
DaveA