Playing with threads

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:09:24 EST 2015

I can't tell what you mean, but you can start a process via
subprocess.Popen, do some work, and wait for it to finish.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html

Note that you don't need the stdout (or likely the stdin) of the
process, you just need the return code -- whether or not grep
succeeded -- so you can redirect stdout and stderr to os.devnull and
avoid using .communicate().  Also, if you can't use .communicate(),
but need to access stdout, this is the most common reason to need
threads with subprocess.

-- Devin