How do I remove/unlink wildcarded files

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 3 05:01:41 EST 2015

http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/3989/Did-you-know-that-ough-can-be-pronounced-TEN-DIFFERENT-WAYS

> I learned six, which is no more than there are for the simple vowel
> 'a' (at least, in British English; American English has a few less
> sounds for 'a').

What is this thing you call "American English"? :-)

I wouldn't want to put an exact number of distinct accents in the USA, but
it's probably in three figures. And it used to be said that a sufficiently
skilled linguist could tell what side of the street an English person was
born on, that's how fine-grained English accents used to be.

> Consider "cat", "bay", "car" (that's the three most
> common sounds), "watch", "water", "parent" (these three are less
> common, and American English often folds them into the other three).

There's a joke about how people from certain parts of the US suffer
from "hat attacks" (heart attacks).

> Now have a look at Norwegian, where the fifth of those sounds
> ("water") is spelled with a ring above, eg "La den gå" - and the sixth
> is (I think) more often spelled with a slashed O - "Den kraften jeg
> skjulte før". Similarly in Swedish: "Slå dig loss, slå dig fri" is
> pronounced "Slaw di loss, slaw di free". Or let's look at another of
> English's oddities. Put a t and an h together, and you get a
> completely different sound... two different sounds, in fact, voiced or
> unvoiced. Icelandic uses thorn instead: "Þetta er nóg" is pronounced
> (roughly) "Thetta air know".

English used to include the letter Thorn too. Among others. Little known
fact: at one time, ampersand & (as in "and") used to be included as a
letter of the alphabet

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31904/12-letters-didnt-make-alphabet

--
Steven