Future of Pypy?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Feb 22 16:45:48 EST 2015

Good news  -- it seems to be working fine with PyPy.
https://travis-ci.org/hugovk/Pillow/builds

for me, not extensively tested, it just seems to be working.

I have several pypy's floating around here, each within its own
virtualenv.  If you aren't familiar with virtualenv, read all
about it here:
http://www.dabapps.com/blog/introduction-to-pip-and-virtualenv-python/

Note the first question to the blog writer is 'how to get it to work
with pypy'.  Do what he says.  virtualenv -p /path/to/pypy env
but, if you want to use more bleeding edge pypy you will want:

# from a tarball
$ virtualenv -p /opt/pypy-c-jit-41718-3fb486695f20-linux/bin/pypy my-pypy-env

# from the mercurial checkout
$ virtualenv -p /path/to/pypy/pypy/translator/goal/pypy-c my-pypy-env

I've only got bleeding edge PyPys around here, in virtualenvs, but
in all of them

import sys
from PIL import Image

for infile in sys.argv[1:]:
   try:
       with Image.open(infile) as im:
             print(infile, im.format, "%dx%d" % im.size, im.mode)
   except IOError:
             pass

which I pasted right in from
http://pillow.readthedocs.org/en/latest/handbook/tutorial.html

seems to be working just fine for me.  Hardly an exhaustive test,
but ... well, try it and see how it goes for you.

I don't know what time it is where you are, but it is 22:44 here now, and
alas I promised a kivy demo to a client tomorrow morning, and, double
alas, I haven't written it yet.  It shouldn't take more than an hour or
three to write, but I am going to have to stop having pleasant chats
about pypy for a while and get this thing done ... :)

Laura