sqlite3 and dates

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Feb 18 17:52:36 EST 2015

Chris wrote:
> I didn't equate them.

>> Chris wrote earlier:
>>> and you manipulate it just the same as if it were a big fat blob
>>> of JSON

That sure sounds like equating.

Chris also wrote:
> But SQLite3 is *not* great if you look on it as a database engine
> comparable with DB2, PostgreSQL, and even MySQL.

Sure, the LITE in SQLite means you don't get some things.  There is still a huge amount of software that doesn't need
concurrency and can benefit from it.

Having installed Postgres I can say there is definitely a cost to install it, use it, maintain it, etc... especially if
you aren't steeped in it and have to look things up every time you have to make a change (how do I add a user again?).

I think the general advice should be:  if you are writing a single-user application that happens to need SQL services,
check out SQLite; if you are writing a multi-user or concurrent SQL application, check out Postgres.

--
~Ethan~