Accessible tools

Bryan Duarte bryan0731 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:43:40 EST 2015

Hello all,

I have been posting to another group which directed me to this group. I am a blind software engineering student at Arizona State University. I am currently doing research and have decided to use Python as my developing language. I am in search of an accessible IDE or other tool set which will allow me to use the features with a screen reader. I have tried a number of tools but so far have been unsuccessful in finding one that allows me to use the tools and features of the IDE with my screen reader.

I understand that I do not need an IDE to use Python, I am looking for an IDE to allow me to explore the classes and methods easily and quickly. I have tried the following tools.
• pyCharm
• iPy
• iPy Notebook
• Idle
• and Eclipse

So far only Eclipse was accessible but I did still incounter some difficulties like the IDE freezing up when tool tips would pop up. Finally I am using a Mac mostly but can use Windows, or Linux if need be. Thank you and I appreciate any and all suggestions.