Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Feb 11 12:54:19 EST 2015

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> xkb supercedes xmodmap which is increasingly unsupported
> ie it does all of the earlier functionality and much more
>
> Only catch is to have to read impenetrable docs :-)
>
> Ive been directed to these
> http://pascal.tsu.ru/en/xkb/setup.html
> http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/html/index.html
>
> If you make some headway with these I'd like to know!

Last I checked all I could find was written in Russian, which to my
regret, I can't read.

I think xmodmap will be there until Wayland replaces X11.

Anyway, again,

shows the utterly wrong approach to configuring the keyboard: you are
supposed to touch the XF86Config-4 file. Keyboard preferences should be
defined under $HOME with user preferences.

It appears X.org lost sight of the fact that Unix is a multiuser
environment where every user furnishes and decorates their $HOME to
their liking.

Marko