Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 12:34:14 EST 2015

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 10:42:59 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody :
>
> > On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:06:03 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> >
> >> The problem with xkbmap is that I don't know how to specify a new
> >> keyboard map as a regular user. I know how to do that with .Xmodmap.
> >
> > Xmodmap is neat... but obsolete
>
> Still, if xkbmap can't do what I need, I'm left with no option.

xkb supercedes xmodmap which is increasingly unsupported
ie it does all of the earlier functionality and much more

Only catch is to have to read impenetrable docs :-)

Ive been directed to these
http://pascal.tsu.ru/en/xkb/setup.html
http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/html/index.html

If you make some headway with these I'd like to know!