ANN: unpyc3 - a python bytecode decompiler for Python3

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:19:35 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 4:30:11 PM UTC-8, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I recently finished my CS degree, and I had more than one professor say
> > that they won't take "My computer crashed and I lost everything!" as an
> > excuse for not being able to turn in homework.
>
> How about "My computer crashed and died and now I can't get to Dropbox to
> access my files"?

If you have access to a web browser, you have access to your Dropbox files.

I don't own a printer.  If I needed to print something for school, I just printed it from my Dropbox at school.

> "My computer got infected by ransomware which encrypted all my data files
> and blocks access to Dropbox."

Dropbox saves previous versions of files.  Just restore them from the last version you had before they got encrypted by the ransomware.  This can be done from any browser.

> "One of my housemates torrented a Linux tarball, and the MPAA wrongly
> identified it as a movie file. Purely on their say-so, my ISP disabled my
> account and banned me from the Internet. But all is not lost, if I move 45
> miles away, I can sign up with a different ISP!"

Not exactly a likely scenario, and still not a problem unless you're not allowed to access the internet from someone's WiFi.

> "Some dude I've never seen before gate-crashed our party and was smoking
> pot, and the police raided us and seized my computer and everybody's
> phones. My lawyer tells me the raid was illegal and if spend two or three
> hundred thousand dollars in legal fees, I'll probably be able to get my
> computer back within eight years or so."

They can take your computer and it doesn't matter if you've got your files on Dropbox.

> "My dog ate my USB stick."
>
> :-)

I never used a USB stick for school work.

At this point, I'm probably sounding like a shill for Dropbox, but I'm really not.  I imagine Google Drive offers the same features.  Access to your files from the web, synchronization of local files among computers with access to it, and the ability to retrieve and restore files from previous versions.