Python and multiple user access via super cool fancy website

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 12:38:19 EST 2015

On 25 December 2015 at 13:15, Aaron Christensen
<aaron.christensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL. Thanks!  PHP was definitely not very easy to pick up and I'm still
> having some issues. Last night I watched some tutorials on Django and plan
> on reading all of the links on the docs page of Django.  I will also look at
> your recommendation.  I think that will give me a good understanding.
> Hopefully Django isn't a copy/paste kinda "put your website together" like
> WordPress because my objective is to actually learn Python.

That’s not what WordPress is. WordPress is a blog engine that can be
used as a general-purpose CMS, full stop. You don’t need any coding
skills to build a website with WordPress. Many people have done that —
especially on wordpress.com or shared hosting services with one-click
WP installers; and even without an installer, setting up WordPress on
shared hosting requires a FTP client and reading comprehension
anyways.

On the other hand, Django is nothing like this. Django can do anything
you tell it to, and you need to write code. While Django handles some
things for you (eg. the admin panel or the ORM), you still need to
write models, views, URL configuration, etc. yourself. You need an
understanding of relational databases, HTTP, HTML/CSS, the template
engine, and you do need to write actual code.

And while there are tons of ready-made blog applications for Django
that you can install and use, you can (and should!) write your own in
an hour or two.  And it’s a lot more fun to do that than lazily
downloading something.

PGP: 5EAAEA16