asyncio for UNIX socket

Pavlos Parissis pavlos.parissis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:16:11 EST 2015

Hi,
I am trying to write UNIX socket client which sends 1 cmd
and saves the received data to a file.
Based on what I found on documentation I came up with::

import asyncio
class UnixProtocol(asyncio.Protocol):
    def __init__(self, loop):
        self.cmd = 'show stat\n'
        self.loop = loop
        self.data = []

    def connection_made(self, transport):
        transport.write(self.cmd.encode())
        print('Data sent: {!r}'.format(self.message))

    def data_received(self, data):
        print('Data received: {!r}'.format(data))
        self.data.append(data.decode())

    def connection_lost(self, exc):
        print('The server closed the connection')
        print('Stop the event loop')
        if self.data:
            with open('/tmp/somedata', 'w') as fp:
                fp.writelines(self.data)
        self.loop.stop()

loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
s_file = '/run/haproxy/admin1.sock'
coro = loop.create_unix_connection(lambda: UnixProtocol(loop), s_file)
loop.run_until_complete(coro)
loop.run_forever()
loop.close()

I am not sure if the above is the proper way to do the job.
Am I doing the right thing to write the data to the file when peer
closes the connection?

Thanks,
Pavlos