python 351x64

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:18:51 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Jay Hamm <hammj at vmware.com> wrote:
> It is an issue that borks your install. That seems like your issue which involves notepad++. You might want to talk with them about it or more likely since they've not fixed it in a while - develop a work around or at least a message that pops up and asks if they want it fixed so the install succeeds.

Could you describe the steps you took, the results you got, and the
result you expected?  It's not clear from your description what is
broken by what, and not at all clear that there is any interaction
whatsoever between Python and Notepad++.  Also, we're not in the habit
of including workarounds for bugs in software that may or may not be
installed on some fraction of systems of one particular platform.

> Likewise if you have an option to install for all uses, then it should work without further intervention.

"Install for all users" means "make it readable by all users" rather
than "make it writable by all users."  As I stated previously, install
your package as an administrator if you need it in the global site
packages, or use a virtual environment that you have write access to
as a non-admin.  Or install Python elsewhere (which could be as simple
as choosing "install for just me").  Or adjust the permissions you
want adjusted yourself, as you apparently did.  The installer cannot
do everything for everyone, so it does what we believe to be best for
most use cases and errs on the side of security.

> As for unfair, is this production software or is it a toy? If it is a toy, I withdraw my comment.

It seems to me there is even less call for that.  Civility breeds
civility, incivility breeds contempt.

Python is a volunteer-driven open source project, available to you at
no cost and with free community support.  If there is a bug to fix,
we're happy to fix it, but at bare minimum we need clear steps to
reproduce the problem.  Being open source, you're also more than
welcome to provide a patch that fixes your issues.

--
Zach