install issue

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Dec 7 10:42:41 EST 2015

In a message of Sun, 06 Dec 2015 20:44:03 +0000, "John Robinson" writes:
>When I run the installer (python-3.5.0.exe [win32]) I see this:
>

>There seems to be "hidden" buttons as clicking in the middle of this dialog
>box does continue the process.
>
>However, when complete, and I start python, I get an error saying its not a
>valid win32 application.
>
>So, I uninstalled, and there is the same issue with the un-installer - I
>have to click random places in the dialog box to "find" the uninstall
>button, that is not shown.
>

>(plus AVG shows this as the Heri virus - and, yes, I did disable AVG while
>attempting the installation.)
>
>Win xp, SP3, AMD Phenom, 1100, 8gb (dual boot with win7)
>

>Rgds

AVG, like most antivirus software, gets tons and tons of false positives.

Regardless of weirdnesses in the installer, your real problem is that
3.5 and later does not run on XP, period.  The new Python 3.5.1 released
yesterday was supposed to be able to detect your XP, and tell you that
you needed to upgrade your OS in order to run 3.5.1

Looks like things are still not working perfectly on that front, but
that's the problem.  You need to either stick with 3.4 or upgrade your OS.

Laura Creighton