Installation Problem

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 09:42:48 EST 2015

On 02/12/2015 13:59, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:30:38 +0000, Mark Lawrence writes:
>> 0) before asking search for "python installation problem" just in case
>> you're not the first person to have this issue.
>
> That is not a good idea, there are so many different hits for that.
> The first one I get is this:
> http://superuser.com/questions/613820/error-installing-python-on-windows-7-x64
>
> which is unlikely to be the OP's problem.

So you are advocating that people keep on asking the same question, even
if it has been asked twice a day for the last month?  Wouldn't it be
better to advise people to restrict their search to maybe the last month
or even week, or do a site specific search, or even check the mailing
list archives?

> I'd like it if people would stop mentioning crystal balls and the like
> around here, which was funny once, but which has gotten extremely stale
> since.  And if people whose first take on others is 'does this give me
> an opportunity to be sarcastic' took it someplace else.  I get very
> tired of hanging around people who think that sarcastic is clever.

It's not funny, but it does show the number of times that the question
asked is often less than useless.  Personally I'm tired of the fit bib,
spoon feed, change nappy brigade, who IMHO are doing far more harm than
good.

> Laura

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence