Automation of Windows app?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Aug 30 12:18:38 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-30, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 30 Aug 2015 07:25:55 -0700, ryguy7272 writes:
>
>>I know this is an old post, but anyway, can't you just use Windows Scheduler?
>>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7
>
> I think you may have missed the original post, where poor old
> Grant Edwards said:
>
>> I need to automate operation of a Windows application.  It's a
>> conformance test app from a standards organizaiton, and it's
>> _stunningly_ bad.  You have to sit it front of it like some sort of
>> brainless slave and click a button every 10-20 minutes.
>
> So his problem isn't he needs to schedule some tasks, but rather he
> has to exercise a horrible app by sitting mindlessly in front of
> a Gui and remembering to click something at it every so often.  Poor
> Grant is going to expire of boredom before the job gets done.   But
> a python program can be plenty intelligent enough for this task.
>
> So Grant?  How did it go?  Would you recommend it for the rest of us?

[Regarding https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyAutoIt/0.3]

Definitely.  It worked just fine for what I needed to do.  I started
the application and configured a few settings "by hand" and started
the conformance test application.  Once it was running, I started my
little Python program which waited for the "pass/fail" window to pop
up and then clicked "continue" to continue the tests.  Presto:
unattended test runs.

--
Grant