memory control in Python

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Aug 18 02:16:21 EDT 2015

In a message of Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:13:57 +1000, Chris Angelico writes:
>On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Ping Liu <yanzhipingliu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I move from Python to Jython or IronPython, do I need to retool whatever I have done? If so, that may take quite a long time. This may make the reimplementation impossible.
>
>You're not moving from Python to something else; you're moving from
>CPython to something else. It's like moving from Borland's C compiler
>to Watcom's C compiler - all your code should still run unchanged.
>There will be differences, but the bulk of your code shouldn't need
>changing. With Python interpreters, the usual difference is extension
>libraries - CPython can call on a bunch of things implemented in
>native code, Jython can call on a bunch of things implemented in Java,
>etc.
>
>ChrisA

Unless, as I expect, what he has done uses Numpy and or SciPy a lot.
Enthought is no longer supporting NumPy for IronPython (and it never
worked all that well, anyway, I am told ... but I never used it myself).
Even the maintainer of Jnumeric (which is trying to do Numeric not
NumPy) thinks the Jnumeric project should die.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18832169/numpy-analog-for-jython

We already know that Ping has a really big C extension he needs to work
with -- CPLEX, and well, here he may be in luck as there are java
versions of CPLEX and there is something called the CPLEX/Concert .NET
API  which may -- I never tried this -- let him work with Iron Python.
But that is one lirary.  If he has many more C extensions he needs to
use, then this could mean retooling them.

Laura