Is Django the way to go for a newbie?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:57:10 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars at web.de> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> There's another thing you absolutely have to know when you do web
>> development, and that's i18n. This is why I don't recommend Node.js
>> for server-side work - because Python's Unicode support is better than
>> JS's.
>
> Your posting shows again that your knowledge of "JS" is full of gaps at
> best, so you should refrain from making bold statements about "it" and
> making design decisions and recommendations based on that.

Do please enlighten me! Tell me how Node changes the underlying
ECMAScript specification and gives true Unicode support. In
particular, I would expect the length of a string to be based on
either code points or combining character sequences, and indexing
(including slicing) should be based on the same thing. It should not
be possible to split a character during iteration over a string.
(Whether you iterate over "é" as a single character or as two (U+0065
U+0301) is a matter of debate, and I'd accept both answers as
correct.)

ChrisA