Is Django the way to go for a newbie?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 13:41:39 EDT 2015

On 08/08/2015 10:08 PM, Dwight GoldWinde wrote:
> I am both new to Python and I haven¹t even touched Django yet.
>
> I understand I that I need Django or something like it to develop my
> website.
>
> From what I have read, Python and Django somewhat go together.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Or is there another development platform better for someone like me than
> Django?
>
> Any and all feedback or questions are much appreciated.

Web development is very a very hard problem, largely because it involves
quite a few different domain-specific languages that you have to be
proficient in.  It's not just a matter of Python and Django. You must
also have a good working knowledge of html, css, javascript, SQL (or
some other database engine, and even though Django abstracts the
database somewhat), and how they all interconnect and interact with each
other.  So at this stage of the game, get some Python experience.  Then
mess with html, css, javascript on their own (static pages).  After than
then you'll be ready to add Django to the mix and also get some basic
database experience.

And judging by how much custom web applications cost these days, once
you've mastered all this, you'll be in a position to make a lot of
money.  Not joking either! Web developers are some of the smartest
people I know, and in the highest demand, because they work so well with
such complex systems.

In this area, node.js is getting very popular. I don't care much for
javascript but using it on the server as well as the web browser itself
reduced the number of languages you have to know by one.

> BIG SMILE...

"Just relax and let the hooks do their work."