Who uses IDLE -- please answer if you ever do, know, or teach

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 23:58:02 EDT 2015

On 08/05/2015 06:06 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
[snip]
> 0. Classes where Idle is used:
> Where?
> Level?

None

> Idle users:
>
> 1. Are you
> grade school (1=12)?
> undergraduate (Freshman-Senior)?
> post-graduate (from whatever)?

Some college, but didn't complete.
Never had any CS or programming courses.

> 2. Are you
> beginner (1st class, maybe 2nd depending on intensity of first)?
> post-beginner?

post-beginner (and self-taught)

> 3. With respect to programming, are you
> amateur (unpaid)
> professional (paid for programming)

amateur

My situation:  Amateur/hobbyist programmer.  (Retired from electronics industries.)  My
programming needs are very modest -- mostly simple utilities for my own use.  In the past used C
extensively, C++ some.  But after I found Python I haven't looked back.

Programming environment:  Linux Mint (hate Windows!).  Using simple editor (usually gedit) and a
terminal window, but I usually have Idle running (minimized) to be able to quickly check syntax,
run help(...), etc.  I rarely use it for actual programming.

One minor complaint about Idle:  In the interactive mode the auto-indent uses a tab character
which the display expands to 8-character columns.  This large indent is annoying.  The editor
mode can be set for smaller indents but the interactive mode can't -- at least I haven't found
how if it is possible.

      -=- Larry -=-