Who uses IDLE -- please answer if you ever do, know, or teach

Akira Li 4kir4.1i at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 23:45:16 EDT 2015

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> There have been discussions, such as today on Idle-sig , about who
> uses Idle and who we should design it for.  If you use Idle in any
> way, or know of or teach classes using Idle, please answer as many of
> the questions below as you are willing, and as are appropriate

Running Python scripts in Windows console that may produce Unicode
output is a worth-mentioning use-case [1] (as you might know) i.e., if
you run:

  T:\> py print_unicode.py

and get the error:

  UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character '...'

then a workaround that works out of the box is to run:

  T:\> py -m idlelib -r print_unicode.py

that can display Unicode (BMP) output in IDLE.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28521944/python3-print-unicode-to-windows-xp-console-encode-cp437