Linux users: please run gui tests

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 6 22:07:26 EDT 2015

Python has an extensive test suite run after each 'batch' of commits on
a variety of buildbots.  However, the Linux buildbots all (AFAIK) run
'headless', with gui's disabled.  Hence the following
test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
(and on 3.5, test_tix, but not important)
are skipped either in whole or in part.

We are planning on adding the use of tkinter.ttk to Idle after the 3.5.0
release, but a couple of other core developers have expressed concern
about the reliability of tkinter.ttk on Linux.

There is also an unresolved issue where test_ttk hung on Ubuntu Unity 3
years ago. https://bugs.python.org/issue14799

I would appreciate it if some people could run the linux version of
py -3.4 -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
(or 3.5).  I guess this means 'python3 for the executable.

and report here python version, linux system, and result.
Alteration of environment and locale is a known issue, skip that.

--
Terry Jan Reedy