debugging during package development

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 1 02:44:55 EDT 2015

On 8/1/2015 12:21 AM, Seb wrote:

> It seems too cumbersome to have to update `sys.path` to include the
> development tree of a package (and sub-packages) that's still very
> young.  With lots of debugging to do, the last thing I'd want is to
> worry about the search path.  So I've been searching for better ways to
> work, but I can't seem hit the right keywords and come with all sorts of
> tangentially related stuff.  I'm sure there must be some tool that sets
> up the development environment when the package source is not on
> `sys.path`.  Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

I am not sure what you are asking, but do you know about .pth files in
site-packages?  For each python installed, I put in site-packages a
python.pth containing one line "F:/python".  That file contains my
project directory, call it x/  Running any version of python, 'from x
import y' or 'from x.y import z' just works, the same as if x/ *were* in
site-packages, and will be if I ever distribute the x package. No fuss
with search paths; python plugs x into site-packages for me.

I do not know where this is documented.

--
Terry Jan Reedy