GvR Europython keynote described on lwn.net

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 1 01:45:32 EDT 2015

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 01:08 pm, Rick Johnson wrote:

> On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 1:33:36 AM UTC-5, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> The Dropbox cluster runs a modified Python 2.7, he said, which
>> elicited audience laughter. "I said it, it is no secret", he said.
>
> Yep, even the BDFL is actively developing in 2.7! He's no fool.

Of course not. Dropbox pay him to work on their systems, and he wants to
keep his job.

Are you aware that Dropbox are heavily pushing for static type hints in
Python 3 as a prerequisite for them porting their masses of Python 2 code
to Python 3? That's one of the motives for the masses of effort put into
PEP 484, and its support PEPs, 482 and 483:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0483/
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0482/

As I understand it, Dropbox are paying Guido to work on static type hinting
for Python, with the emphasis on proving program correctness, not speed,
specifically because they want a big positive gain for moving to Python 3.

--
Steven