Python is not bad ;-)

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Apr 30 12:11:44 EDT 2015

Op Thursday 30 Apr 2015 16:03 CEST schreef Michael Torrie:

> On 04/30/2015 01:07 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> When I do that the computer is freezed a few times. That is a
>> little less nice. Does not happen with Clojure when it gets an out
>> of memory.
>
> A system freeze is probably due to thrashing by your operating
> system as a process (in this case Python) uses more and more memory,
> causing massive swapping. Clojure's heap, being a JVM-based
> language, is based on JVM settings, so it may be maxing out at just
> a couple of GB. Whereas Python will happily max out your swap if
> your program demands the memory.

I just posted a message about that. This gets the problem also:
    l = range(int(1E9))

The problem is that after this other processes are swapped out and
have a bad performance. There is nothing that can be done about it?

So there is a positive point for working with the JVM. :-D

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer