Python is not bad ;-)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 30 05:10:23 EDT 2015

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> writes:

> I am coding with Python again.

Great to know!

> I like it that the code is concise and clear. But also that the
> performance is not bad.

The former is a property of Python, which is a programming language. I
agree with your assessment :-)

The latter is not a property of Python; a programming language doesn't
have runtime performance. Rather, runtime performance is a property of
some specific *implementation* — that is, the runtime Python machine.

There are numerous Python runtimes, and they have different performance
characteristics on different hardware and operating systems.

    <URL:https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonImplementations>

You might be talking about performance on CPython. But you might not! I
don't know.

Have you looked at PyPy – Python implemented in Python – and compared
its performance?

--
 \     “I went camping and borrowed a circus tent by mistake. I didn't |
  `\      notice until I got it set up. People complained because they |