Python is not bad ;-)

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Apr 30 03:07:51 EDT 2015

I am coding with Python again. I like it that the code is concise and
clear. But also that the performance is not bad.

I wrote Lucky Numbers in Clojure and Python.
When calling with 1E7 Clojure takes 12 seconds and Python 8 seconds.
When calling it with 1E8 Clojure takes all 4/8 cores and gets an out
of memory.
Python takes one core and is finished after 888 seconds.

When I call the Python version with 1E9 it is killed after 27 seconds.
I get a message Killed and the error code is 137. Probably also an out
of memory.

When I do that the computer is freezed a few times. That is a little
less nice. Does not happen with Clojure when it gets an out of memory.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer