Best GUI for Python

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 10:54:32 EDT 2015

Am 27.04.15 um 09:15 schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> On Monday 27 April 2015 16:55, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
>
>> YMMV. Is non-BMP needed for any living non-esoteric language? I agree
>> that it is a big flaw, but still is useful for very many projects.
>
> Yes.
>
> The Unicode Supplementary Multilingual Planes (SMPs) are used for rare but
> still current East Asian characters (which means that some of your Chinese
> users may not be able to write their names without it), also some
> mathematics symbols (okay, that's *slightly* esoteric), as well as emoji.

OK current Chinese characters count in. Were these available in
pre-unicode 16bit encodings? If not, how did they cope? Not rying to
defend the BMP, but still wondering whether this is a new issue due to
the switch from 16bit to unicode, or if people can finally use all
characters thanks to unicode (software with full support). Emoji and
rare math is somewhat more esoteric (given the limited codepoint space)

> None of those uses are critical (unless you have a lot of Chinese users) but
> supporting the SMPs should not be considered optional.

I fully agree. Full unicode is one of the goals for Tcl9, but Tcl/Tk is
missing manpower to actually implement that stuff (and people with
skills in unicode platform APIs)

	Christian