Best GUI for Python

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sun Apr 26 12:32:28 EDT 2015

Op Sunday 26 Apr 2015 17:09 CEST schreef Steven D'Aprano:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 11:02 pm, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> I want to use a GUI for Python. When searching I found (beside some
>> others) Tkinter and wxPython. From what I found it looks like
>> Tkinter is slightly better. What would be the pros/cons of these
>> two? Would there be a compelling reason to use another GUI?
>
> Tkinter is easier to use, as it is standard with Python. So long as
> you have Tk/Tcl installed on your computer, Tkinter should work
> fine.
>
> However, Tkinter probably looks a bit more old fashioned.
>
> wxPython probably looks a bit more modern and may be a bit more
> powerful, but it will require a large extra library. It's also a lot
> harder to learn to use wxPython unless you are comfortable with C++
> programming.

Well, I did my share of C++ programming. ;-)

> Have you seen this?
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Dabo looks interesting, but also a little bit dead. Well, maybe I just
should evaluate Tkinter and wxPython both. Now wxPython looks more
interesting. But it is easier to make a reasonable decision when I
have a little more information. :-D

For the moment I limit it to Tkinter and wxPython.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer