Huh? No way to markup announcements here?

Peter Pearson pkpearson at nowhere.invalid
Sat Apr 18 13:05:08 EDT 2015

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:36:34 +0100, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 18/04/2015 11:24, edreamleo at gmail.com wrote:
[snip]
>> Is there any way to format announcements?  If so, how.  If not, why not?
[snip]
> Both of those services -- Usenet & Mailing list -- are traditionally
> plain text. One could certainly make a case for the uniquity and
> helpfulness of standard HTML markup, but I'm afraid that's unlikely to
> cut any ice in the face of a long-established and usually useful convention.
>
> Obviously you could use some established text markup such as ReST or
> markdown which is quite readable in plain text but which *could* be
> rendered to HTML by a suitable reader.

If I might, for a moment, play the role of the Tiresome Geezer,
let me observe, as a Usenet fan since the 1980's, that Usenet has been
enormously useful, convenient, and reliable.  Browsers and HTML are
great, and I use them far more than Usenet; but you always need to upgrade
to some Even Newer Adobe Flash Player, and there are five new Urgent Security
Releases every month, and I can't concentrate while that damn advertisement
is flashing, and if you enable Javascript the Russian mafia
will use your computer to spam your neighbors but if you don't then
all the cool sites come up blank.  Usenet, in contrast, just keeps
on working.

--
To email me, substitute nowhere->runbox, invalid->com.