Importing/migrating Mailman mbox files into Google Groups?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 17 20:33:51 EDT 2015

On 16Apr2015 08:32, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>Quite sometime ago (2011?), the classic-rendezvous mailing list, which had
>been hosted by a Mailman instance at bikelist.org, was reconstituted as a
>Google Group. Just a bunch of old bikies interested in vintage bikes. The
>original archives were never imported into the new group. (It might not
>have been possible at that time.) I suspect there might be a way to
>accomplish that today using some Google API like this:
>
>https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/groups-migration/v1/reference/archive/insert
>
>Has anyone here attempted such a feat? I have no problem with the Python
>side of traversing the necessary mbox archive files, but have no experience
>with any of the Google APIs.
>
>Pointers appreciated...

Hmm, I have never used these.

However, before you get very excited see if people can get messages back out of
the archive. A major annoyance for me with GGroups versus mailman is that if I
join a group I cannot download the historical archive. (This is a standard step
for me when I join a mailing list. I hear mailman 3 might be tossing this
facility; I am unimpressed.)

Returning to the original question, it looks like the uppload format is pretty
simple. This page:

  https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/groups-migration/v1/guides/manage-email-migrations#group_migration_media_upload

which is linked to from your link seems to show an example.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Facts do not discourage the conspiracy-minded.
        - Robert Crawford <rawford at iac.net>