EuroPython 2015: Django Girls Workshop

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 17 19:29:28 EDT 2015

On 4/17/2015 4:31 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> beliavsky at aol.com:
>
>> If your target audience is women, I think you should have termed it
>> the Django Womens Workshop rather than the Django Girls Workshop.
>> Referring to adults as children can be seen as condescending.

Are all of you claiming this so ignorant that 'girls' is sometimes used
to refer to adult women, just as 'boys' is someitmes used to refer to
adult men?  The co-founders of 'Django Girls', djangogirls.org, are two
Polish females.  Judging from their pictures on their twitter pages,
they were perhaps in their 20s at the time.  They love Python, are
Django Core Developers, and want to share, especially with other women.
They were *not* condescending themselves or other women.

"
We want to inspire women to fall in love with programming.

So we organize free Python and Django workshops, create open sourced
online tutorials and care about amazing first experiences.
"

> You got it wrong. The name is not offensive. However, it suffers from
> two serious problems:
>
>   * You might think it's for children only.

I would not.

>   * The name's missing an apostrophe.

Nope.  The organization is 'Django Girls', not 'Django Girl'.  A Djange
Girls Workshop is a workshop by and for Django Girls.

--
Terry Jan Reedy