New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:44:37 EDT 2015

On 04/16/2015 08:52 AM, Blake McBride wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses.  I especially like the Pike pointer.
> To be clear:
>
> 1.  I don't think languages should depend on invisible elements to
> determine logic.
>
> 2.  Having been an employer, it is difficult to force programmers to
> use any particular editor or style.  Different editors handle tabs
> and spaces differently.  This is all a bloody nightmare with Python.
>
> 3.  Languages that use braces (or the like) can be run through a
> program beautifier to correct the indentation.  You are just screwed
> in Python.  So, Python may be a cute language for you to use as an
> individual, but it is unwieldy in a real development environment.
>
> 4.  Language beautifiers used on bracey languages removes all
> arguments in favor of an off-side language.

While it appears that you had already made up your mind about the matter
long before posting, and perhaps was just looking for vindication, I
feel that some of the snide replies you got were just not tremendously
professional.  However, it may be that people recognized that you likely
had made up your mind already, and posted accordingly.