MicroPython 1.4.1 released

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:09:29 EDT 2015

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Damien George <damien.p.george at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of MicroPython version 1.4.1!
>
> MicroPython is an implementation of Python 3.4 which is optimised for
> systems with minimal resources, including microcontrollers.
>
> Since our last announcement, this release is both more "micro" and
> more "Python".
>
> Code size of the bare Thumb2 architecture version has dropped to under
> 71k (without reduction of features), the RAM usage has been further
> optimised, and support for 16-bit microcontrollers has been proven via
> the port to a PIC microcontroller with just 8k RAM.
>
> On the Python side of things, there is now a "stackless" mode with
> both strict and non-strict behaviour.  Strict will always use the heap
> to allocate a call frame, where non-strict will fall back to the C
> stack if the heap is exhausted.  More special methods have been
> implemented, along with proper descriptors, OrderedDict class, basic
> frozen module support and the ability to override builtins, among
> other things.
>
> The test suite has grown and coverage of the code is now beyond 91%.
>
> Many other features have been implemented for the ports to various
> microcontroller platforms, bugs have been fixed and the docs have been
> improved.  A full change log is available at
> https://micropython.org/resources/micropython-ChangeLog.txt .
>
> For more information about the project please visit
> http://micropython.org/
> https://github.com/micropython/micropython

This is cool. I’m glad you guys are doing this and glad you are seeing some promise and success. I’ve enjoyed reading your updates, especially the technical ones. I wish you’d do one on whatever you’re doing for memory management in your particular python variant. GC in a tightly constrained environment is interesting.