Best search algorithm to find condition within a range

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:34:31 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
> For example, if you want to convert 378 to base 10 (it's binary internally),
> you'd divide by 10 to get 37, remainder 8.  Save the 8, and loop again.
> Divide 37 by 10 and get 3, remainder 7.  Save the 7. Divide again by 10 and
> get 0, remainder 3.  Save the 3
>
> Now you have '8', '7', '3'   So you reverse the list, and get

Technically, it doesn't matter that it's stored in binary. All that
matters is that it's stored in some way that you can perform division
on. I used to do this kind of thing in assembly language, pushing
digits onto the stack, then popping them off afterward. (It's actually
easier to make a column of numbers right-justified, as you can simply
create a buffer of the right size - assuming you're working with a
machine word and can know the maximum size - and populate it from the
far end.) But yes, this is the standard way to do base conversions.

ChrisA