Russell--Those additional questions you had

John Kelly jkellymdmph at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 15:25:04 EDT 2015

Pythonites,
I received Python with another install and my update software keeps signaling I need to install a newer version, and once I do, the older version is still there, so I keep getting told I need to update. Should I be able to uninstall the old version each time?
Thanks for your kind attention,John Kelly
On 3/31/15 10:09 AM, John Kelly wrote:
> Pythonites,
>
> I received Python with another install and my update software keeps
> signaling I need to install a newer version, and once I do, the older
> version is still there, so I keep getting told I need to update. Should
> I be able to uninstall the old version each time?
>
> Thanks for your kind attention,
> John Kelly

I would need more information to help. What operating system are you on?
How and where are you installing Python (and what do you mean by
"received Python with another install"?).

-- Russell
Russell,
I found Python on my system through the use of Secunia PSI, as it was flagged as needing update and I had not noticed Python before.

It shows Python 2.5.X in C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\clear.fi SDK21\Video\koan\python25.dll and shows Python 2.7.X in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\python27.dll and shows Python 2.7.x in C:\Windows\System32\Python27.dll and also Python 3.x in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Python34.dll
I just wonder if all these copies are necessary or if I am supposed to manually uninstall the previous versions.  When I download an upgrade, I love to see the installer removing old files before installing the upgrade, and feel almost sure it's dumping almost all the effluent of old versions.

Secunia sometimes gets a wild hair in its program to keep all installs up to date, and  will flag something it claims to be updating but never seems to accomplish this, so must be done manually.  Fair enough, as it was free and only trying to help secure my system.  Here are the stats on my system:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer    Acer
System Model    Predator G3620
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. P01-A1, 3/12/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    9.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory    23.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    20.7 GB
Page File Space    11.9 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

I appreciate your offer of help and hope to not need to interrupt your time further.  I am intrigued, however, by this computing language being made more understandable for a neophyte like myself.  I'll read a bit more about it.Thanks!John Kelly