Is it possible to deliver different source distributions for different Python versions?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Apr 6 07:52:30 EDT 2015

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:23 pm, Dylan Evans wrote:

[content snipped]

Hi Dylan, and welcome!

If you're going to post in response to people's questions, would you please
disable HTML email and trim your responses? This mailing list is mirrored
on Usenet, as comp.lang.python, where HTML is against the rules of the
newsgroup and is considered rude.

If you're planning on sticking around as a regular contributor, and we hope
you do, the best way to read this group is to use individual emails, not
digests. When you reply to a digest, unless you trim the response, we get a
copy of the ENTIRE digest, in this case eighteen posts we have already seen
before. And then *doubled*, because Gmail sends a plain text version plus a
HTML version. So we get 1855 lines of text shoved down our throat,
including a massive block of rubbish that looks like this:

<head><style>body=7Bfont-family:Helvetica,Arial;font-size:13px=7D</=
style></head><body style=3D=22word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: s=
pace; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;=22><div id=3D=22bloop=5Fcust=
omfont=22 style=3D=22margin: 0px;=22><div><blockquote type=3D=22cite=22 c=
lass=3D=22clean=5Fbq=22 style=3D=22color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helv=
etica, Arial; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans=
: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-=
space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width=
: 0px;=22></blockquote>> I would like to distribute a python package w=
ith different code for <br><blockquote type=3D=22cite=22 class=3D=22=
clean=5Fbq=22 style=3D=22color: rgb(0, 0, 0);

and so on for a couple of pages. Wonderful, right?

I understand that Gmail is a pig about these sorts of things, and makes it
really hard to avoid breaking list etiquette. We appreciate whatever you
can do, and while a few of us may bark occasionally, we don't bite.

If you're using Thunderbird, it has an option to disable sending HTML to
certain addresses. If you need help finding that option, don't hesitate to
ask and I'm sure somebody will be happy to give you instructions.

To the rest of the list... didn't somebody write up a wiki post on how to
convince Gmail to be less unreasonable about top posting, quoting, etc?
Does anyone still have the link?

Thanks,

--
Steven