Keepin constants, configuration values, etc. in Python - dedicated module or what?

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Tue Sep 30 13:50:04 EDT 2014

Neil D. Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 9/30/2014 7:35 AM, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> > Thus I'd have something like (apologies for any syntax errors):-
> >
> > cfg = { "LeisureVolts": ["AIN0", 0.061256, "Leisure Battery Voltage"],
> >          "StarterVolts": ["AIN1", 0.060943, "Starter Battery Voltage"],
> >          "LeisureAmps1": ["AIN2", 0.423122, "Leisure Battery Current"}
> >
> > (It might be better to makes those lists dictionaries, but it shows
> > the idea)
>
> Using configparser.ConfigParser to read an ini-format seems like a good
> idea. I use it for my own numerous fixed format data file definitions,
> and it's been convenient and even extensible.
>
> [LeisureVolts]
> Description=Leisure Battery Voltage
> Code=AIN0
> Value=0.061256
>
> [StarterVolts]
> Description=Starter Battery Voltage
> Code=AIN1
> Value=0.060943
>
> [LeisureAmps1]
> Description=Leisure Battery Current
> Code=AIN2
> Value=0.423122

That's OK except that it doesn't associate the different sections in
any way, I need another level which includes these to indicate that
these are values read from the ADC.  There's another collection of
config data for values read from the 1-wire bus.

I guess I could have two config files, one for ADC and one for 1-wire.

In fact I think that's the best approach so far.  Ini format files are
human readable (and more to the point editable), I can store them in
the same directory as the database so they will get carried around
with the data and the configparser module is built-in.

--
Chris Green
·