Keepin constants, configuration values, etc. in Python - dedicated module or what?

Neil D. Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Tue Sep 30 12:16:47 EDT 2014

On 9/30/2014 7:35 AM, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> Thus I'd have something like (apologies for any syntax errors):-
>
> cfg = { "LeisureVolts": ["AIN0", 0.061256, "Leisure Battery Voltage"],
>          "StarterVolts": ["AIN1", 0.060943, "Starter Battery Voltage"],
>          "LeisureAmps1": ["AIN2", 0.423122, "Leisure Battery Current"}
>
> (It might be better to makes those lists dictionaries, but it shows
> the idea)

Using configparser.ConfigParser to read an ini-format seems like a good
idea. I use it for my own numerous fixed format data file definitions,
and it's been convenient and even extensible.

[LeisureVolts]
Description=Leisure Battery Voltage
Code=AIN0
Value=0.061256

[StarterVolts]
Description=Starter Battery Voltage
Code=AIN1
Value=0.060943

[LeisureAmps1]
Description=Leisure Battery Current
Code=AIN2
Value=0.423122

I've set it up so I can understand abbreviations for the field names,
for when I want to be lazy.

Some of my values are dictionaries, which looks like this in my files
(an alternate spelling of one of the above entries):

LeisureVolts=desc:Leisure Battery Voltage
              code:AIN2
             value:0.061256

It's simple to hook into ConfigParser to get whatever meaning you'd
like, and whatever verification you'd find necessary.

--
Neil Cerutti