Pyrolite, lightweight pickle and pyro client library, seeking a bit of testing help

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 23 18:16:50 EDT 2014

On 22-9-2014 20:28, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Irmen de Jong <irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> This is why Pyro has been using a different (and safe) serializer by default for a while
>> now. You have to plow through the usual security warnings in the docs and make a
>> conscious effort in your code to enable the pickle serializer if you really want/need it.
>
> Is the safe serializer affected by byte order? If not, you could just
> mark this off as a known bug, and say "if anyone has a big-endian
> system to test this on, please help out". It would be another
> incentive to use the safe serializer rather than pickle. And it'd save
> you a lot of trouble. :)

The safe serializer is this one: https://github.com/irmen/serpent and it is a text based
protocol, so no, it is not affected by byte order. It uses Python literal expressions as
understood by ast.literal_eval().

Note that the endianness bug in my pickle implementation was fixed by the pull request
so it is no longer a known bug. But I still would like to be able to run the test suite
on both endianness platforms (or let someone else try it for me :-) )

> I would have offered one of my systems for the test, except ...
> they're all little-endian. I'm all PC-based hardware here (mainly
> Linux running on Intel CPUs, though there are some variations).

Heh, yes; I used to have a PowerPC G4 mac mini (a big endian platform), but that machine
got replaced by an Intel based one (little endian, as all the other computers I have
access to). Ah well.

Irmen