xlrd Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 18 01:53:38 EDT 2014

Andi Vaganerd <andiroots at gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to open an excel file (.xlsx) using python module xlrd.
> And I'm getting this error over here:
>
> "Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document"

I interprete this message as follows: the excel content in your
file is wrapped in an atypical way (an OLE2 compound document)
and "xlrd" does not fully support this way.

Looking at the "xlrd" source code (searching for "OLE2") may give
you more hints.

> The only thing differente from others excel files, is that this workbook is protected, not with password, but I can't write on it, just open and read (on my computer, not on python)

Likely, this kind of protection causes excel to choose a special
wrapping, not fully supported by "xlrd".