[OT] Question about Git branches

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 16 03:37:26 EDT 2014

Ben Finney wrote:

> "Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com> writes:
>
>> I know there some Git experts on this list, so I hope you don't mind
>> me posting this question here.
>
> I do. There may be experts on parquetry flooring in this forum, but a
> topic is not on-topic merely because some people here may know about it.

(1) Frank labelled the post [OT] so that people not interested in off-topic
posts can filter it.

(2) Parquetry flooring has nothing to do with Python programming, while
source control is very relevant. Asking questions about revision control is
at least as on-topic as asking what editor one should use for Python
programming, a question I note you have been known to respond to :-)

In my opinion, objecting to Frank's question is not as friendly or helpful a
response as I believe we should aim to provide. A more friendly response
would have been to suggest that he would likely get better quality answers
by elsewhere, but without the editorialising. It's your right to have a
different opinion, of course, and you can continue to agitate for a
stricter application of on-topic questions, but I just wanted to say I
don't fully agree with your position in this matter.

Frank, I am not a git expert, and I don't have an answer for your question,
sorry. Ben's advice to ask it elsewhere is sound.

--
Steven