O'Reilly Python Certification

julian at julianvidal.com julian at julianvidal.com
Fri Sep 5 17:52:07 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:53:12 PM UTC-4, jaron... at gmail.com wrote:
> Ethan, Steve, Tim, and others:
>

> I'm thinking of taking the program. How long, in hours, does it take to complete all four Python courses?

I'm currently taking the first out of four modules. I have extensive PHP knowledge and I also have a certification by Zend so programming is not new to me. I've never done anything at all with Python.

I've already completed 12 out of the 16 lessons and so far the reading has taken me from 15 to 30 minutes and the code assignments no more than 10. There was one exception that took me 30 minutes as I wasn't sure what the hell they were asking (it was a very obscure and useless algorithm which hasn't been the case on any of the other assignments). On top of that you have to answer 2 quizzes and each quiz usually has 2 questions (no more than 5). Those usually take 1 to 3 minutes max as they are mostly syntax or concepts but not coding.

As I said, this is only true for the first module as I haven't taken the others yet. But if you already know programming and have a few years of coding experience you will breeze through the first module in probably 3 days (assuming you only do that). The syllabus for the other modules suggests (to me) that going so fast would not be that easy.