I have tried and errored a reasonable amount of times

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Sep 4 01:36:40 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:

> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> That's the classic Boolean algebraic notation.
>
> Says who? (Apart from you, obviously :-) Since when? I've never seen
> it in *any* discussion of Boolean algebra.

I have only run into George Boole, Boolean algebra and booleans in
engineering textbooks (digital electronics, software programming). IIRC,
they *always* used the multiplication and addition symbols.

When studying symbolic logic, I never ran into that notation or Boole or
Boolean algebra or booleans. For example, ∧ and ∨ are called connectors
instead of operations. IOW, they are symbols of a language instead of
functions.

Marko