(test) ? a:b

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:38:28 EDT 2014

On Monday, October 27, 2014 7:59:04 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
> Joshua Landau writes:
>
> > Guido van Rossum answered Jul 28 '11 at 21:20,
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3174392/is-it-pythonic-to-use-bools-as-ints
> > > False==0 and True==1, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>
> Guido is incorrect. I've already stated what's wrong.
>
> That's different from saying I want to change how Python behaves *now*,
> of course. But to say "there's nothing wrong with that" dismisses the
> problems without addressing them. Guido isn't perfect, so that's okay.

Yes; thats my position also (here and in general).

Language changes can be (hugely) disruptive.
The cost/benefit of disruption/improvement is always to be considered

Does not mean the choices are perfect.

In particular, when introducing a beginner, its best if teachers are upfront
about goofups. It helps everyone. Helps...

- the noob who is saved from self-flagellating "Am I a fool?"
- helps the python ecosystem: "These guys are straightforward; dont cover
up their mistakes"
- etc -- eg noob's future employer