I am out of trial and error again Lists

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:56:31 EDT 2014

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:33:57 PM UTC+5:30, Seymore4Head wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon wrote:

> >You obviously didn't, so I'll try again. Try each of the following three
> >commands in the python console at the ">>>" prompt.
> >
> >1) 10
> 10
>
> >2) range(10)
> range(0, 10)
>
> >3) str(range(10))
> 'range(0, 10)'
> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
> >
> >Show *and* describe the output in each case. Describing the output that
> >you see is actually the key here, as it will allow us to assess whether
> >you understand what you are actually seeing or not, and if you don't
> >understand the output you see in the console, then we need to fix that
> >very fundamental and basic issue before moving on to more complex stuff!
> >
> >> Ok Thanks
> >
> >You were expected to answer the question in the original. I have now set
> >it as a clearer and more specific task.
> >
> >If you're not going to do these things that are intended to help you
> >learn some of the basic features of the language, then I and everyone
> >else here that has so far been attempting to help you are wasting our
> >time.
>
> I did try them.  I may have missed replying your to your specific
> comment, but I tried them.
>
> BTW str(range (10)) does work with Python 2 which is where I may have
> got the idea.  I happened to be using Python 3 at the time I tried to
> implement it.  It is a little confusing jumping back and forth, but
> for the moment, I am going to tough it out.
>
> I do appreciate all the help too.

Hi Seymore!

Happy to see that you are moving on from
"reading much; understanding nothing; thrashing"

"reading a bit; understanding a bit"
[And thanks to Denis to getting you out of your confusion-hole]

So heres a small additional question set that I promise will more than repay
you your time.

Better done in python 2. But if you use python3, below replace
range(10)
with
list(range(10))

So now in the python console, please try

a.
>>> range(10)

and

b.
>>> print (range(10))

And then post back (without consulting google!!)¹

1. Are they same or different?

2. If same, how come different expressions are same?

3. If different whats the difference?

4. [Most important]: When would you prefer which?