Struggling with python-daemon and subprocess module to work together

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 21 20:04:39 EDT 2014

Praveen Kumar <kumarpraveen.nitdgp at gmail.com> writes:

> Previously this basic server is executed using *openvt* but I thought
> it would be nice to have a daemon process for it and used
> python-daemon.

An important difference is that a daemon process has no controlling
terminal, by definition.

> Issue I am facing is after some time server will stop sending data to
> client which suppose to happen in #120 and get error message "Cannot
> run interactive console without a controlling TTY" .

So, if the code you're running inside that daemon process needs access
to a terminal, you have at least two options:

* If the code really needs to talk on an interactive terminal, fake it
  with a pseudoterminal, and keep that pseudoterminal (its file handle)
  open.

* If, as is probably the case, the code doesn't actually need to talk on
  an interactive terminal, cut that part of the code out entirely and
  the rest will run fine inside the daemon.

--
 \         “I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the |
  `\        death your right to mis-attribute this quote to Voltaire.” |